[AUCTeX] Making reftex distinguish frontmatter and mainmatter

From: Rasmus Villemoes
Subject: [AUCTeX] Making reftex distinguish frontmatter and mainmatter
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:42:08 +0200

Hi

When I press C-c =, i get

   1 Introduction
   2 Homology and cohomology of groups
   3 The mapping class group
   etc.

but in the compiled document, the introduction is an unnumbered
chapter, and "Homology..." is chapter 1. Is there any way one can make
reftex parse the declaration \mainmatter and number the chapters in
the toc accordingly? Similarly for backmatter and appendices. Its not
a big deal, but it can be a bit confusing that the chapters have
different numbers in the compiled file and when viewed on-screen.

I would also like the \tableofcontents to be parsed similar to a
\chapter command, as my tableofcontents is typeset as a chapter.

Of course, the numbering scheme used for a particular document may be
different from what I'm using, and I don't expect reftex to parse the
entire document to figure out whether at a given a point a \chapter
would result in a numbered or unnumbered chapter, but it would be nice
if it behaved as "standard LaTeX". Then, perhaps, one could control
the behaviour for a particular document using local variables
("reftex-frontmatter-numbering" = nil, "reftex-mainmatter-numbering" =
"arabic", "reftex-appendix-numbering" = "Roman",
"reftex-backmatter-numbering" = nil or something...).

Maybe I simply overlooked something in the documentation?

--
Rasmus Villemoes
<http://home.imf.au.dk/burner/>