Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:38:00 +0200

* Stefan Vollmar (2007-07-03) writes:

> I got (temporarily) rid of the first pdfTeX warning by commenting out
> the title page of our document - we do not really need that during
> debugging. Then - yippieh - stepping through the errors with TeX-next-
> error works "as advertised" - thanks a lot.

There should be ways of permanently getting rid of the warning without
having to disable the title page.  Google should know them.

> However, here is another (potentially similar) problem: when I turn
> on debugging for warnings
>
> TeX-toggle-debug-warnings     C-c C-t C-w
>
> (how can I turn this on permanently in my .emacs file?)

M-x customize-variable RET TeX-debug-warnings RET

> stepping with TeX-next-error works initially but then stops with
>
> ERROR: ** LaTeX
>
> --- TeX said ---
> LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:sections' on page 2 undefined on input
> line 4.
>
> --- HELP ---
> No help available
>
> and no further warnings or errors are displayed. I have attached the
> log file, this time from the Aquamax session.

The log file contains lines like the following:

LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:embedded-data' on page 3 undefined on input line
9.

LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:xml-summary' on page 3 undefined on input line 12
.

LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:xml-summary' on page 3 undefined on input line 12
.

LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:workfl-pres-pdf' on page 3 undefined on input lin
e 15.

The linebreaks are inserted by pdflatex.  That means the regular
expression for matching the "on input line <line>." part would have to
be able to deal with linebreaks after _every_ character, which it
currently does not.  Does anybody know if the insertion of these
linebreaks can be turned off?

>> In my case (pdfTeXk, Version
>> 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)) the pdfTeX warning does not start
>> with an
>> exclamation mark.
>
> Is this a special version?

No, that's from TeX Live 2007 as provided by Debian.

> I am surprised to find that both "default"
> installation on Linux (Fedora Core 6) and MacOS X exhibit the same
> problem, i.e. have unsuitable latex versions.

I was rather surprised that my version did not produce an exclamation
mark because I thought this was standard behavior.