Re: [AUCTeX] getting auctex working right

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] getting auctex working right
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:55:06 +0200

* Sven Bretfeld (2007-07-24) writes:

> I'm not working under Windows, so I have no answer for your first
> question,

One does not have to do anything but extracting the ZIP archive.

> and my other answers might not be correct. But I hope not to
> say anything wrong.
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:37:35AM -0400, Wilson, Bruce wrote:
>
>> 2)     How to I get ctrl-c ctrl-c view to use the yap program in MikTeX
>> and not xdvi? (View command: xdvi  "todo.dvi" is what appears in the
>> command line)
>
> This can be set by:
>
> M-x customize-variable RET TeX-view-style

No, the right variable would be `TeX-output-view-style', which would be
the canonical way for changing the viewer.

For Windows users it is usually easier to load tex-mik.el by putting
(require 'tex-mik)
into the init file.  This sets some options to MiKTeX-specific values.
One of them happens to be `TeX-output-view-style' which is altered to
use Yap for viewing DVI files.

>> 3)     How do I get pdflatex in MikTeX to run from within emacs/auctex?
>
> This is normally done with:
>
> C-c C-t C-p
>
> which toggles between latex and pdflatex. If you always want to
> compile a certain file with pdflatex, you can set this at the bottom
> of the file:
>
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% TeX-PDF-mode: t
> %%% End:

If pdflatex should be used in the majority of cases, the variable
`TeX-PDF-mode' should be customized with `M-x customize-variable RET
TeX-PDF-mode RET'.

All of the above is explained in the manual as well which is accessible
with `C-h i d m auctex RET'