Re: [AUCTeX] Installing without root permission

From: David Scott
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Installing without root permission
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:11:13 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, David Kastrup wrote:

David Scott <address@hidden> writes:

I would like to install AUCTeX myself on a Unix machine where I don't
have root permission. I downloaded that latest version of AUCTeX, ran
.configure and make but make install failed. I couldn't see how to
have it install in a directory where I have write permission.

I would welcome advice on this.

You already have it.  It is in the file INSTALL under

6 Installation for non-privileged users
***************************************

It is also accessible from the manual as

(info "(auctex) Advice for non-privileged users")

OK. I should have read more of the INSTALL manual. However, I can't get the install done when following these instructions. I am getting a little further than before, but not succeeding.

Here is what I tried

Unzip and untar the .tar.gz file in ~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages
cd to ~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages/auctex-11/84
./configure --prefix=/home/staff/dscott
make
make install

Configure and make say the build is good. But make install fails with /usr/bin/install trying to create tex-site.el in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp for which I have no write permission.

Thanks

David Scott

David Scott     Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830         Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:  address@hidden

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics