Re: [AUCTeX] C-c ` pops to *output* buffer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] C-c ` pops to *output* buffer
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:07:06 +0100

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if the valued AUCTeX experts could shed some light on an
> issue with C-c ` (TeX-next-error).
>
> This pops to the *output* buffer (with the complete compile log) first
> and then switches to the more informative error message (*TeX Help*).
>
> This works well, unless a configuration is used that will display
> newly popped-up buffers in separate frames, for instance with `one-
> buffer-one-frame-mode' (Aquamacs), but presumably also with `pop-up-
> frames' set to t.

If it the latter, that's a problem.  If it is the former only, then it
would be more like an Aquamacs problem.

> What happens then is wholly different from the normal behavior: the
> *output* buffer is shown in the background (separate frame), and then
> the *Help* buffer is shown as well.
>
> I notice that `TeX-parse-TeX' does the `pop-to-buffer' call in
> question, and it needs to do so for `TeX-error-point' to be defined
> and the parsing to work.
>
> If I change the function as below (temporarily setting (TeX-active-
> buffer), which is *output*), then things work as intended. But
> presumably I've broken something else.
>
> What is the intention of `pop-to-buffer' in this place, and why does
> AUCTeX need to visibly pop to the other buffer before actually
> bringing up the *Help*?

[...]

I am not sure.  I think that this code may be mostly historical, so it
is possibly hard to find somebody who has a good idea about it.  I think
we may have dabbled in the code somewhat, but more or less on a "poke it
until it seems to work" basis.