Re: [AUCTeX] Re: AUCTeX and Tramp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: AUCTeX and Tramp
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 13:36:14 +0200

Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 06 May 2008 16:35:41 +0200 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> When I try to run LaTeX via Tramp on a remote file under AUCTeX, LaTeX
>>> says it can't find the file.  I can't tell if this is a bug or a faulty
>>> configuration or other user error.  I have the same LaTeX setup (paths,
>>> etc.) on both the local and remote machines.  I can reproduce the
>>> problem with Emacs -Q by evaluating (load "auctex.el" nil t t), opening
>>> the file via /ssh:, and typing C-c C-c to run LaTeX.  Then I get the
>>> following output:
>>
>> Most likely some instances of start-process and
>> start-process-shell-command need to be replaced with start-file-process
>> and start-file-process-shell-command.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion; the patch below fixes the problem for me (I
> don't know if any of the remaining calls start-process in AUCTeX should
> also be changed, but it wasn't necessary for my case).

It is likely that more changes are required (and we need backward
compatibility, anyway), but I can't figure out what start-file-process
and friends actually do (I just remember that they make some tramp-based
operations work).  The DOC string is not much help.  I asked on
emacs-devel for clarification.

--
David Kastrup