[AUCTeX] Emacs Input Method and / or Coding System and / or keyboard set

From: gerald . jean
Subject: [AUCTeX] Emacs Input Method and / or Coding System and / or keyboard setting
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:01:30 -0400

Hello,

ever since I upgraded to Emacs 22.1, from 21.3.1, I experience the
following problem.

I start Emacs and start editing latex files, everything goes fine for a
while but after some time I can't anymore input the latex special
characters, like "\" for example, and I am having problems with accented
letters as well, my documents are written in French.  It seems Emacs has
switch coding system or keyboard layout or I don't know what?  I played
quite a bit with the Mule options but without success.  It gets very
anoying since it happens several times a day.  The only cure I found so far
is to exit Emacs and start over again.

It is probably not Auctex related but there is so much emacs expertise on
this list that I thought I'd ask.  Auctex version is 11.84.

Let me add a little bit of information which might help pinpoint the
problem.

I run a 64-bit version of a stat. package  installed on a network 64-bit
Linux box.  I log on the Unix box through ICA client from my XP machine.
Once there I start Emacs from which I fire the stat package.

My analyses there produce a lot of graphics and tables which are converted
to LaTeX tables by a function of my stat. package.

All my LaTeX documention, which includes the graphs, in EPS format, and the
tables mentionned above, is done through AucTeX on the XP machine.  I
download the graph and latex tables files on the XP machine, from Emacs on
the XP machine through Ange-ftp.  I download so many files in the course of
a project that I go through this logging process (from Emacs on XP to the
Linux box) routinely every morning.

Now when I open one of the latex table file in Emacs on the XP machine the
status bar shows in the far right position: "(Unix)", without the quotes of
course.  Could that be the source of the problem?  These files, hundreds
for a single project, are included in the LaTeX doc of the project through
an "\input{filename}".  Hence as the whole doc for a project is processed
the latex compilation is switching between "Unix" like character codings
and "PC" like character coding hundred of times.  Could that cause the
problem?  But on the other hand, I have been using this setting for years
(in fact for years on a 64-bit Unix machine which was replaced 18 months
ago by a 64-bit Linux machine) without problems?

If anyone has insights into this, it will be greatly appreciated, even a
way to get back to the original coding, or keyboard setting, without having
to quit Emacs would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques, VP Planification et Développement des Marchés
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

             address@hidden
             ca
             Envoyé par :                                                A
             ess-help-bounces@         address@hidden
             stat.math.ethz.ch                                          cc

                                                                     Objet
             2008/06/27 10:16          [ESS] Emacs Input Method and / or
                                       Coding System

Hello there,

my problem is probably more Emacs related than ESS related, but ...

I use Emacs every day and all day, I mostly run Splus trhrough ESS and
write a lot of doc. (in French) with LaTeX through Auctex.  After I run
Emacs for a little while, for reasons unknown to me, the keyboard suddenly
change its behaviour I can't anymore type accented letters or LaTeX "\", or
Splus comment character "#", or "~" and any special characters.  The
behaviour doesn't seem to be mode specific since it happens in ESS mode as
well as in latex mode.  So far the only cure I found is to shutdown Emacs
and start over again, it happens several times a day which gets pretty
frustrating.

I am running Emacs 22.1 on an XP machine, this behaviour started when I
upgraded from Emacs 21.3 to 22.1 several months ago.  I am using version
3.6 of ESS.  I also run ESS 3.6 through Emacs 21.3.1 on a Linux box, over a
network, I never have this problem on that machine?

The Emacs Mule environment for settings Input Methods and Coding Systems is
a little bit over my head!

Any suggestions would be welcome, TIA.

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques, VP Planification et Développement des
Marchés
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

Faites bonne impression et imprimez seulement au besoin !
Think green before you print !

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
please destroy all copies.