Re: [AUCTeX] Re: about cdlatex and auctex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: about cdlatex and auctex
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:56:20 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2008-08-11) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Unrelated to your problem, but for me quite interesting: after typing
>>> ` and waiting a second one gets a nice overview of the available math
>>> macros.  Perhaps something like this would be a nice functionality for
>>> AUCTeX as well.  And we could combine this with Unicode symbols and
>>> the possibility to select entries with the mouse.
>>
>> Emacs-23 to come supports multiple input methods active at one point of
>> time.  It might be best to wrap this sort of functionality in that way.
>
> Probably at the time we drop support for Emacs 22.

As I mentioned: it is unlikely that one needs more than one active input
method in math mode.  I doubt that people will be inconvenienced much if
LaTeX-math-mode (actually, we should at some point of time see whether
we can do a TeX-math-mode, too) happens to switch off the document-wide
input method inside of math.  So I don't think this would be really a
show-stopper, except that compatibility would introduce somewhat more
work.

In any case: a good selection and display mechanism is something that
input methods could use in general.  If some AUCTeX developer were to
contribute that to upstream Emacs, it should be possible to design it in
a manner where the same code and interface can be used (conditionally
compiled) by whatever Emacs 22 compatibility code we'd provide.
Something like that.