[AUCTeX] Re: file and directory left over after running preview-latex

From: Felipe Csaszar
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: file and directory left over after running preview-latex
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:17:19 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> writes:

> * Christoph Groth (2008-09-17) writes:
>
> > I'm using AUCTeX 11.83 on Debian Testing.  When I open a simple file
> > "test.tex" which contains one equation and generate a preview with
> > M-x preview-document, the preview appears (nice!).  However even
> > after exiting Emacs an empty directory "test.prv" and the file
> > "prv_test.log" are left.  Is this normal behavior?
>
> AFAICS, yes.

I do not like this file pollution, so I added the following to my
.emacs:

(setq TeX-auto-local ".prv_auto/")
(setq TeX-region ".prv_region_")
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (defun preview-dump-file-name (file)
              "Make a file name suitable for dumping from FILE."
              (if file
                  (concat (file-name-directory file)
                          ".prv_"
                          (file-name-nondirectory file))
                ".prv_texput"))))

This forces AUCTeX to save all preview-related files in hidden
files and directories that start with ".prv_" (I also have a
crontab entry that removes these automatically once in while).

IMHO this is a much saner behavior, which I would like to see as
AUCTeX's default.

Best regards,

Felipe