Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX isn't seeing pdflatex

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX isn't seeing pdflatex
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:03:34 +0100

Please keep the list copied.

* Will Farrington (2008-12-03) writes:

> On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> * Will Farrington (2008-12-02) writes:
>>
>>> I'm using a hand-compiled copy of Emacs from HEAD.
>>
>> You probably mean trunk, not head.
>
> Nah, I use the git repo on repo.or.cz

Which provides over thirty heads:
<URL:http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git?a=heads>.  Head usually refers to the
latest revision of the trunk or a branch, so it misses the information
about the codeline.

>>> All dependencies
>>> are installed. I can run pdflatex fine from the terminal (I added /
>>> usr/
>>> texbin to both PATH in ~/.profile and 'exec-path in my emacs config).
>>> However, when running the LaTeX command inside PDFLaTeX mode of
>>> AUCTeX, I get log output:
>>>
>>> Running `LaTeX' on `foo' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode
>>> "\input" foo.tex''
>>> /bin/sh: pdflatex: command not found
>>
>> Does it work if you start Emacs from the terminal and then run LaTeX?
>
> No, but I did figure out the problem.
>
> Emacs.app was apparently setting process-environment PATH to something
> different without any real reason. Ended up using the following to fix
> it:
> http://github.com/wfarr/dotfiles/commit/062dc3387177bcbe8abdae9622ea9f834027c569

Using `setenv' is a quick and dirty solution of you don't need the path
to be correct in other applications using non-interactive non-login
shells.  (At least it is my assumption that your .profile is not
evaluated due to the way the shell is invoked when calling LaTeX.)