Re: [AUCTeX] Special characters in LaTeX and some Emacs commandsdon't wo

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Special characters in LaTeX and some Emacs commandsdon't work!
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:26:59 +0100

> > To the OP: you should certainly check out the Windows keyboard layout
> > settings. The key combo that switches settings can be set by the user.
> > There are a bunch of possible options here, such as shift-alt (which IIUC
> > is the default one) or shift-ctrl, which are needed in Emacs to access
> > certain shortcuts, e.g., M-% or M-$. Using any of those functions will
> > switch the layout.
> Actually on my machine shift-alt seems to switch the keyboard settings. No
> wonder it happened so often, every time one wants to go to the end of a
> buffer he needs to use that combo with the ">" key, if the timing of
> pressing the three keys is not as it should then the keyboard get switched!

Indeed! (Though I personally still use the Home and End keys to do that,
but well... ;-)

> I have administrative rights on my machine but when I go to <start> --->
> <parameters settings> ---> <configuration board> ---> <keyboard> (note that
> I am translating these from French -- hence it may not be the exact words
> in English), all I can do here is to alter "repetition speed", update the
> driver and a few other little things NOT related to the keyboard settings,
> am I looking at the right place?

I don't think so, no. I don't have Windows (anymore, thank $DEITY), but
IIRC you need to look under something like Internationalisation. Wait a
sec, let me google an image of the XP control panel...

Ok, so I think it's called "Regional and Language Settings" in the English
version.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers, PhD