Re: [AUCTeX] Auctex-emacs Error

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Auctex-emacs Error
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 18:24:01 +0100

* David Pricking (2009-01-07) writes:

> I'm from germany and i have the same problem which is described here..
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg02973.html
>
> I've Emacs 22.3.1. with windows vista and Miktex 2.7.
>
> What can i do to fix this problem, so that I can go on working with
> Emacs. I didn't understand what the exact Problem is an who to fix
> it. Perhaps you can help me.

Does the log file contain a closing parenthesis, i.e. ")", which is not
followed by a space or a linebreak?

> Where I have to add perhaps this --c-style-errors thing, which is described
> there. I tried it in the latex-start-options variable, but this didn't match.

AUCTeX does not contain a variable called `latex-start-options'.

You can activate file:line:error messages either on the level of the TeX
system or use a command line option when calling the processor.  The
former method should be described in the documentation of the TeX
system.  For the latter method you'd have to change the definition of
the processor call.  In AUCTeX this is found in the variables
`LaTeX-command-style' and `TeX-command-list'.  The switch you'd have to
insert should also be mentioned in the documentation of your TeX system.
(Perhaps --c-style-errors, as you mentioned before, is the right
option for MiKTeX, no idea.)

> I don't think, to have an error in the .emacs oder the site-start, but to get
> shure:
>
> My .emacs is here:
> (setq TeX-command-list
>      '(("TeX" "tex --src \"\\nonstopmode\\input %t\""
>         TeX-run-TeX nil t)
>    ("LaTeX" "%l --src \"\\nonstopmode\\input{%t}\""
>         TeX-run-LaTeX nil t)

Did you come up with this definition yourself or did you copy it from
some web site?  In the latter case please inform the author that this
definition of the latex and tex calls disables a lot of features of
AUCTeX and therefore is _not_ a good idea!

Also, if the --src option is supposed to activate source specials you
should know that those change line breaks in the typeset document and
should therefore not be used for the final version of a document.

>    ("View" "yap -1 -s \"%n %t\" %d"
>         TeX-run-discard nil nil)

This definition of the View command is not a good idea either because
you cannot make use of a different viewer when PostScript or PDF output
is produced.

>    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil nil)
>    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-command nil t)))
>

> My site-start is here:
[...]
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> (require 'tex-mik)
> (require 'tex-fptex)

`tex-mik' and `tex-fptex' are mutually exclusive.  You said you use
MiKTeX, so you don't need to load the file for fpTeX.  If you load both
files the second will overwrite the settings of the first.