Re: [AUCTeX] View with xpdf

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] View with xpdf
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:49:23 +0200

* Mathias Lindner (2009-04-27) writes:

> Can I tell AucTeX to call 'xpdf -remote filename -raise filename.pdf'
> the first time I view my PDF and 'xpdf -remote filename -reload' every
> time afterwards?

The View command (or `TeX-view' for that matter) always executes the
same command line because it's mostly not possible to determine if a
viewer is still running or not.  What you could do is implement your own
functions for either loading or reloading a PDF file, or add a new entry
to `TeX-command-list' to perform the respective action.  Note however,
that AUCTeX will always call the command `TeX-command-Show' when it
thinks no more typesetting work is necessary.

> And can I get xpdf to the foreground after calling the view command in
> AucTeX - just as '-raise' should do?

You probably need a window manager which works together with xpdf.
(Assuming it is the window manager's fault.  It could also be a problem
of xpdf.)

Other than that, the easiest way is probably to use <Alt>+<Tab> (or
whatever your window manager uses for bringing windows to front) and
then type `r' to reload the PDF file in xpdf.