Re: [AUCTeX] [newbie] \maketitle problem

From: Andreas Kiermeier
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] [newbie] \maketitle problem
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:40:21 +0930

Hi Tom,

might be worthwhile to try and reduce your article.tex file to the bare bones and run it to see what happens. That is, does the following work?

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\title{Introduction to \LaTeX}
\author{Tom Roche\thanks{Thanks, Janet!}}
\date{\today}

\begin{document}
\maketitle
\begin{abstract}
This is the abstract for our paper.
\end{abstract}

hello world!
\end{document}

Cheers,

Andreas
_______________

Andreas Kiermeier

Find me at: LinkedIn Google
Contact me: Skype/andreas.kiermeier
Signature powered by WiseStamp

On 23 April 2010 11:39, Tom Roche <address@hidden> wrote:

summary: When I add

> \maketitle

to a document in an AUCTeX buffer, all subsequent `C-c C-c` fail with

*TeX Help*
> ERROR: Missing $ inserted.
>
> --- TeX said ---
> <inserted text>
>                 $
> l.40

How to fix?

details:

I am very new to TeX and AUCTeX, so feel free to tell me if this
question should be directed elsewhere. Also, apologies if these are
FAQs, but I didn't see anything relevant when either searching the
auctex archive or just googling.

I enrolled for a 2-day TeX course @ my school, which is being taught
with TeXnicCenter on xp. I run ubuntu karmic and emacs (ubuntu
package=emacs-snapshot, emacs version="GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0"), so instead I

1 installed the ubuntu packages

auctex
texlive-fonts-recommended
texlive-fonts-recommended-doc
texlive-publishers
texlive-publishers-doc
texlive-science
texlive-science-doc

 and their dependencies.

2 put

> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)

 in my init.el

I was able to follow the class (see notes from the January iteration @

http://www.unc.edu/~jjharden/latex/latex_intro.pdf

) as far as

article.tex
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> % preamble
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{indentfirst}
> \usepackage{setspace}
> \usepackage[longnamesfirst]{natbib}
> \usepackage{booktabs}
> \usepackage{rotating}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage[margin = .75in]{geometry}
> \usepackage{url}
> \usepackage{subfig}
>     \captionsetup[subfloat]{position = top, font = large}
> \usepackage{float}
> \bibpunct{(}{)}{;}{a}{}{,}
> \parskip = 3pt
> \usepackage[colorlinks = TRUE, urlcolor = blue, linkcolor = black,
>  citecolor = blue]{hyperref}
> \usepackage{fancyhdr}
> \pagestyle{fancy}
> \fancyhf{}
> \rfoot{\thepage}
> \renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}
> \usepackage{color}
> \usepackage{endnotes}
> \let\footnote = \endnote
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \title{Introduction to \LaTeX}
> \author{Tom Roche\thanks{Thanks, Janet!} \\
> Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering \\
> University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill \\
> address@hidden}
> \date{\today}
>
> \begin{abstract}
> This is the abstract for our paper.
> \end{abstract}
>
> hello world!
>
> \end{document}

I then tried to display the title by adding

article.tex
> \title{Introduction to \LaTeX}
> \author{Tom Roche\thanks{Thanks, Janet!} \\
> Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering \\
> University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill \\
> address@hidden}
> \date{\today}
+ \maketitle

But on compiling (with C-c C-c) I get

*TeX Help*
> ERROR: Missing $ inserted.
>
> --- TeX said ---
> <inserted text>
>                 $
> l.40
>
> --- HELP ---
> TeX probably found a command that can be used only in math mode when
> it wasn't in math mode. Remember that unless stated otherwise, all
> all the commands of Section 3.3 in LaTeX Book (Lamport) can be used
> only in math mode. TeX is not in math mode when it begins processing
> the argument of a box-making command, even if that command is inside
> a math environment. This error also occurs if TeX encounters a blank
> line when it is in math mode.

However

- '$' is not inserted in article.tex

- when I insert '$' (e.g.

article.tex
> \title{Introduction to \LaTeX}
> \author{Tom Roche\thanks{Thanks, Janet!} \\
> Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering \\
> University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill \\
> address@hidden}
> \date{\today}
+ $
+ \maketitle

 ), save, and recompile, I get the same error.

- I can't find anything in the AUCTeX info about switching to math mode.

TeXnicCenter handled the \maketitle without error, however, which makes
me suspect a configuration problem on my end, but I don't know if it's
an AUCTeX problem, or a TeX install problem, or a stupid user problem,
or what. Your assistance is appreciated: feel free to reply to the list,
to me directly, or to forward.

TIA, Tom Roche <address@hidden>