[AUCTeX] Installing on Mac OS X 10.5 with self-contained Emacs 23.2

From: Otto Maddox
Subject: [AUCTeX] Installing on Mac OS X 10.5 with self-contained Emacs 23.2
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:31:45 +0100

I've installed Emacs 23.2 as a self-contained application (i.e., using
--with-ns during configuration). So nothing weird. Now I'm having
difficulty finding the right configure options for AUCTeX 11.86 . I
tried "./configure
--with-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs" and got

checking where lisp files go... configure: error: Cannot locate lisp
directory,
use  --with-lispdir, --datadir, or possibly --prefix to rectify this

Why can't configure determine automatically where to put the lisp files,
info documentation, etc?