Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required

From: Dirk Van Hertem
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:59:55 +0200

On 08/04/2010 12:47 PM, Jaap Eldering wrote:
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:59:23PM +0930, Andreas Kiermeier wrote:
On 4 August 2010 18:30, Jaap Eldering<address@hidden>  wrote:

Given that AucTeX already reports that you might want to run BibTeX or
LaTeX again to fix references/citations/etc, would it be possible to
create a separate command that tries to do all this automatically?
Hi Jaap,

I think you're looking for "texify" which will do the required runs of LaTeX
and BibTeX to get references and cross-references right.

I've included the following in my .emacs file, which makes the texify
command available. You can then press C-c C-c in your latex file and select
either Texify (to get a dvi file) or TexifyPDF (to get a pdf file).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andreas
Hmm... I'm not quite sure I follow you: 'texify' should be a
commandline tool, right? I do not have that available (should it ship
with AucTeX?) nor can I find such a program by a quick search on the
internet. (Only a perl script 'texify' that transforms programming
code into formatted TeX, but that's not it, I guess.)

Adding the code below to my .emacs allows me to run these commands via
C-c C-c, but doesn't do anything (it also doesn't give an error that
'texify' is not available).

Best,
Jaap
Hello,

The program that can be used is rubber (

$ apt-cache show rubber
This is a building system for LaTeX documents. It is based on a routine that
 runs just as many compilations as necessary. The module system provides a
great flexibility that virtually allows support for any package with no user
 intervention, as well as pre- and post-processing of the document. The
 standard modules currently provide support for bibtex, dvips, dvipdfm,
 pdftex, makeindex. A good number of standard packages are supported,
 including graphics/graphicx with automatic conversion between various
 graphics formats and Metapost compilation.
Homepage: http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~beffara/soft/rubber/

I have been able to add it to my emacs config a few years ago, but I don't have it anymore. Should not be too difficult though.

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
       (lambda ()
         (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
              '("Texify" "texify -b %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode) :help
"Texify document to dvi (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)
         (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
              '("TexifyPDF" "texify -b -p %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode)
:help "Texify document to pdf (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)
         ))
Replacing textify with rubber should do the trick?

Best regards,

Dirk