Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required

From: Jaap Eldering
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:32:45 +0200

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 06:44:46PM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> * Andreas Kiermeier (2010-08-04) writes:
>
> > I think you're looking for "texify" which will do the required runs of LaTeX
> > and BibTeX to get references and cross-references right.
> >
> > I've included the following in my .emacs file, which makes the texify
> > command available. You can then press C-c C-c in your latex file and select
> > either Texify (to get a dvi file) or TexifyPDF (to get a pdf file).
>
> > (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
> >       (lambda ()
> >         (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
> >              '("Texify" "texify -b %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode) :help
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This means AUCTeX will not look for and report any LaTeX errors.  I
> haven't checked if `TeX-run-TeX' would work.  Probably not.

I had already replaced it with TeX-run-TeX. It does work in the sense
that the command is run and an output file produced, but rubber
produces very terse error lines that AUCTeX (understandably) doesn't
seem to parse correctly. Running rubber as emacs compile command seems
to work better.

Also, rubber doesn't (easily?) allow including source specials,
breaking forward and reverse search...

So I'm still wondering whether it's possible to have this automatic
run-everything command available in AUCTeX: it would be really
convenient to have all the features of AUCTeX, but remove the need to
sometimes repeatedly press "C-c C-c [enter]".

Best,
Jaap