Re: [AUCTeX] how to configure the preamble used in preview

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] how to configure the preamble used in preview
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:51:41 +0200

* Chengxi Yang (2010-08-12) writes:

> The command "preview for environment" does not work well for my tex
> file. I found this is because of the document class "thuthesis" I
> used. When I use this document class, some errors appear, but
> everything is fine when document class "article" is set in the main
> tex file instead. I also found that the preview tex file
> "_region_.tex" always use the same preamble with my main tex file.
>
> So I'd like to know how to set a different document class for preview?
> I found a little hint in the preview manual, such as using
> prdefault.cfg, however, any more detailed instruction would be
> appreciated.

Regarding the possibility to switch the document class with
prdefault.cfg or prauctex.cfg I am at a loss as well.  Maybe David knows
something about it.  But I think something like this would be a bit
fragile anyway because the "original" document class might redefine
LaTeX constructs which would be displayed incorrectly with another class
or certain constructs might not be defined when using another class.

I tried to typeset a small sample file using thuthesis.cls from CTAN in
order to find out what exactly is causing trouble.  Unfortunately the
class requires too many packages I don't have and cannot install on the
computer I am using at the moment.  So I'm sorry to say that I am a bit
at a loss with this route as well.  I might have another stab at it once
I have my own computer back.