[AUCTeX] Re: Language support

From: Mathias Lindner
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Language support
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 06:28:28 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Angeli <angeli <at>> writes:

> And there are `TeX-master' file variables pointing to the master file in
> all relevant files?

Thanks for pointing this out again. Yes, there where those variables defined.
But the relevant header file had "mode: plain-tex" defined and therefore an
el-file was not created in the auto folder. I changed this to "mode: latex" and
everything is working now.
Now the question arises, why AucTeX is doing this. I have set the master file,
the mode was set automatically.
See the faulty handled file below.

> > If it helps in any way, here is my complete .emacs file (sorry, comments are
> > partially in German):
> [...]
> > (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> You load preview-latex, but it looks like you never load AUCTeX.  Is it
> loaded in a site startup file?

No idea, I have only created this .emacs file. But when I open a tex-file,
AucTeX starts. Mostly, a menu entry LaTeX is created. In the mentioned case of
this header file only a TeX menu entry was shown.
What line should I add to force AucTex to be loaded?

Here's the header file that AucTeX recognizes as plain-tex:

\usepackage{ifthen}  %OS depending package loads

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: plain-tex
%%% TeX-master: "../antriebsdimensionierung"
%%% End: