Re: [AUCTeX] Drag and drop support

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Drag and drop support
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:28:08 +0100

* Ing. Dieter Jurzitza (2010-12-19) writes:

> Am Sonntag, 19. Dezember 2010, 17:39:07 schrieb Ralf Angeli:
> ***************
>> And you usually don't use external file managers
>> but Dired.
> ***************
> IMHO this may be something valid for you, this may be something valid for a
> bunch of people on this list but this is not neccessarily the case for
> everyone - at least I guess not for Michal, nor for me. I hardly could get
> accustomed to dired, so I am relying on dolpin or midnight commander rather
> than dired.

For me it depends.  When I'm working with text files in Emacs I use
Dired a lot but mostly for looking at directory contents and doing the
occasional cp or mkdir operation.  For everything else I also find Dired
too cumbersome (or haven't found out how to do things right).

> Apart of this your points are very reasonable; I tested Michal's patch on M$-
> too and found that in contrast to what happens on linux path entries in the
> \includegraphics[]{<IMAGEFILE>} - statement are not absolute but relative to
> $HOME. As I hardly work with AUCTEX on M$ this was just an issue of
> curiosity,
> but I thought it might be worthwile to mention here.

Um, absolute paths are not so good anyway because they are not portable.
There might be exceptions where they make sense but mostly the name of
the image file should either be inserted without a path (assuming the
file is in TeX's search path) or with a path relative to the master
file.  See `C-h v LaTeX-includegraphics-read-file <RET>' for the options
offered by AUCTeX.