[AUCTeX] Install fails with Emacs 24.0.50 on XP

From: Uwe Siart
Subject: [AUCTeX] Install fails with Emacs 24.0.50 on XP
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:43:51 +0100

I'm having problems to install AUCTeX in Emacs 24 on Windows XP.
Actually I can't tell if this is an Emacs or an AUCTeX issue:

'configure' runs fine. But on 'make' the system reports a fatal error
caused by Emacs but without any detailed information about the error. I
click "No" (don't send a report to M$) then the installation continues
without any further error. Also 'make install' finishes faultlessly.

So AUCTeX seems correctly installed, however, it will not be loaded on
visiting a TeX file. Then I compared to a working installation and I
found that the file tex-site.el is much smaller in the broken
installation. A diff showed that almost everything from the
auto-loads.el section is absent (the reason why AUCTeX is not loaded?).
When I replace tex-site.el by a version from a working installation
everything is fine again.

Any hints what could go wrong here? The identical procedure works fine
with Emacs 23. I have no idea where to continue the search.

I use

- Windows XP
- MSYS 1.0.11
- Precompiled Emacs 24.0.50 2011-01-03 from
  <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/>
- AUCTeX snapshot 2010-12-06

--
Uwe