Re: [AUCTeX] Install fails with Emacs 24.0.50 on XP

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install fails with Emacs 24.0.50 on XP
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:55:22 +0100

* Uwe Siart (2011-01-15) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> c:/programme/emacs/bin/emacs -q -no-site-file -no-init-file -l lpath.el
>>
>> then copy the code
>>
>> (let ((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "auto-loads.el")))
>>   (mapcar (function update-file-autoloads) '("tex.el"))
>>   (save-buffers-kill-emacs t))
>>
>> into the *scratch* buffer, put point behind the last parenthesis and
>> then type `C-x C-e'?  Does that also result in an error?
>
> Emacs closes without any error and auto-loads.el is generated in the
> AUCTeX install directory.

Hm, then it could be a problem with the handling of command line
arguments or with --eval.

> BTW: I will be offline for the rest of the weekend but I'm going to read
> etc/DEBUG.

The file is mostly about debugging Emacs with gdb.  Do you have gdb
installed?  If that's the case, open an MSYS shell, cd to the `src'
directory below the Emacs installation/build directory and type the
following (with a <RET> after every line):

gdb emacs
cd <path to AUCTeX installation dir>
r -batch -q -no-site-file -no-init-file -l lpath.el --eval '(let
((generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name "auto-loads.el"))) (mapcar
(function update-file-autoloads) command-line-args-left)
(save-buffers-kill-emacs t))' tex.el

At this point Emacs should abort.  When this happens, try to get a
C-level backtrace with `bt' and a Lisp-level backtrace with
`xbacktrace'.