Re: [AUCTeX] How to tell auctex where LaTeX is?

From: Dave Cook
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to tell auctex where LaTeX is?
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 11:27:53 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Hello Ralf,

Thanks for your prompt and very comprehensible reply - I'm sure I can fix it now.

Dave

Dr. David B Cook

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Ralf Angeli wrote:

* Dave Cook (2011-01-31) writes:

In trying to mke my self hardware-portable as well as software portable, I
have installed emacs, auctex and a LaTeX distribution (MikTex) on a
Windows-readable HDD which I can carry round with me. It works OK but
(knowing no elisp and not wishing to know much!) I don't know how to tell
auctex where the LaTeX commands are by modifying the drop-down "command"
menu so making the flow of work un-necessarily
laborious.

Can anyone help? emacs, auctex and MikTex are all on the same disc - G:
say.

An easy way might be to change the $PATH environment variable for Emacs
and make sure that the directory with the MiKTeX executables is part of
it.

If the drive letter is always G: (which I doubt) then you could use
something like the the following code in your init file:

(setenv "PATH" (concat "G:/path/to/bin/dir/;" (getenv "PATH")))

If the drive letter can change one could try to set the directory
relative to the invocation directory of Emacs, i.e. from the directory
where the Emacs binary is located.  The following code tries to do that:

(setenv "PATH" (concat (expand-file-name
                        (concat invocation-directory "<relpath>"))
                       ";" (getenv "PATH")))

You have to replace "<relpath>" with a relative path which suits the
layout on the hard disk, e.g. "../../path/to/bin/dir/".

All of the above is untested, so I'm not sure if it will work.