Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:37:04 -0400

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 03:00:58PM +0200, Ivan Andrus wrote:

> If it works from the command line, but not from AUCTeX the
> difference might be the environment variables (especially if you
> started Emacs from a desktop shortcut instead of the command line or
> after updating .bashrc).  You can set them with `setenv':
>
> (setenv "BIBINPUTS" (concat "/home/haines/jabref:" (getenv
> "BIBINPUTS")))

I don't have a desktop, and so no icon shortcuts. I start emacs from a
terminal.

I dont understand. If I already have this environment:

  $ echo $BIBINPUTS
  /home/haines/jabref:

so why do I have to redefine it by adding another statement in my
~/.bashrc?  I already have there:
BIBINPUTS=/home/haines/jabref:$BIBINPUTS; export BIBINPUTS.

> If it doesn't work from the command line, then it's almost certainly
> not related to AUCTeX and this wouldn't be a good place to ask.

I understand, but not sure how to interpret the result:

  $ biber test.tex
  INFO - This is biber 0.9.4
  INFO - Logfile is 'test.tex.blg'
  FATAL - Cannot find control file 'test.tex.bcf'! - did you pass the
        "backend=biber" option to BibLaTeX?

There is no test.tex.bcf file.

  $ latex backend=biber test.tex
  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live 2011)
   restricted \write18 enabled.
  entering extended mode
  ! I can't find file `backend=biber'.
  <*> backend=biber
                  test.tex

I have no biblatex command to which I might pass something:

  $ which biblatex

  $ which latex
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/latex

  $ which biber
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/biber

  $ which bibtex
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/bibtex

Haines