Re: [AUCTeX] Unprivileged install

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Unprivileged install
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 15:17:18 +0200

Hey Vladimir,

Vladimir Lomov <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
> ** Philipp Haselwarter [2011-10-06 16:56:18 +0200]:
>
>> I'm running arch linux, here's the output of tex --version:

---8<---[snipped 50 lines: my setup]---8<---

>> I feel like I must have missed something obvious, it can hardly be so
>> difficult to get auctex installed in $HOME, especially as the manual
>> explicitly discusses the topic – further ideas and suggestions are
>> appreciated!
>
> All is fine here: Archlinux, ghostscript compiled from git.
>
> It took time to install Archlinux in VirtualBox and test your settings.
> Now I see the same picture that you point out last time. However, if you
> click right button of mouse on sign "STOP" and choose "View error"
> you'll see that there is NOTHING wrong with your AUCTeX installation
> but the problem with ghostscript.
>
> There were nasty bugs in some 9.0x versions of ghostscript of 9.0x.
>
> ---
> WBR, Vladimir Lomov

Thanks for going through such great lengths and testing on arch!
The problem does indeed seem to be with ghostscript. Fortunately, my
university hasn't updated their installs in ~5 years:
% ghostscript --version
8.15.2
Previewing works fine there.

On arch, the Arch User Repositories contain a ghostscript-svn package,
but after building and installing it, it turns out that it provides
gs 9.03 which seems to suffer from the same troubles.
I guess I'll just have to wait for a new release of preview­latex or
ghostscript.

--
Philipp Haselwarter