Re: [AUCTeX] Cross-References in multiple documents AucTeX/RefTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Cross-References in multiple documents AucTeX/RefTeX
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:28:58 +0100

bnickel <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to solve a problem that's come up in producing a large document
> that I'm breaking up into smaller ones. The basic structure is this.
>
> A main document (`main.tex`) that includes formatting info for the whole
> project, and individual files for chapters (`part1.tex`, `part2.tex`, etc).
>
> I need to produce a lot of cross-references, mostly to enumerate items
> within a part, but ideally also to some elements across parts.
>
> My basic workflow is editing LaTeX documents in emacs using the RefTeX
> capabilities to produce cross-references. My problem is that when RefTex
> automatically supplies me with labels (and I'm not willing to give up that
> convenience), it'll start numbering the labels from scratch for each part.

Have you actually bothered informing AUCTeX that you are working with a
multi-file document here?  If the appropriate TeX-master settings are
established, usually RefTeX should not have a problem figuring out what
belongs where.

How to set up AUCTeX for multi-file documents should be described pretty
much at the start of its manual.

--
David Kastrup