[AUCTeX] preview-latex with IEEEtran.cls

From: Victor Rybynok
Subject: [AUCTeX] preview-latex with IEEEtran.cls
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 20:30:41 +0100

Hi,

I am new to AUCTeX and relatively new to LaTeX. I used to use WinEdt before trying AUCTeX.
Everything works fine with the provided "circ.tex" example and with some of my previous papers. However, when I am running preview-latex on my IEEE publications it either fails completely or produces odd looking results.

To investigate the cause of those failures I have installed the following basic toolchain:
Widows 7, emacs-23.3-bin-i386.zip, auctex-11.86-e23.3-msw.zip, MiKTeX 2.9 and gs8.71.

The class file is "IEEEtran.cls" and the latex file is "bare_jrnl.tex". The "IEEEtran.cls" file is a part of MiKTeX 2.9 distribution.
Both files are available from the following archive:
http://www.ieee.org/documents/IEEEtran.zip
(see http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/authors_journals.html for more information)

The only modifications I have done to the initial "bare_jrnl.tex" file are activation of "graphics" package and addition of "\includegraphics" parameter to "IEEEbiography" at the end of the file.

The screenshots of the preview-latex processing results are attached to this post.
Everything seems to be correct until "\appendices" statement, after that, the sections previews are missformatted as shown in "appendices_1.png" attachment.
After running preview-latex second time "Appendix D artifact" appears in Acknowledgement section heading, which should not be there and it does not appear after first preview-latex run. See "appendices_2.png" attachment for example.
The authors photographs in biography items are always doubled and the references section heading is also missformatted as shown in refs_and_biography.png attachment.

Is there any "simple" way to fix the described above problems, or at least, can someone point me towards the right direction to investigate it myself?

Victor.