Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 04:58:00 -0600

David,

The other stuff, however, sounds like a troubling continuation of
previous problems.  Maybe it is chipset or CPU or board related.  On the
other hand, changing the memory modules seems to have changed something.

Indeed ---I haven't had *actual* text corruption, at least not since I'm checking with git (what a peace of mind that brings!).

Scary stuff, that.  I don't think it likely that the hard disk or its
interface is at fault: your symptoms sounded so transitory that they are
likely to occur in-memory.

Stuff like a bad extension card or a damaged PCB track or terminator on
bus line D2 or a solder splash adding unwanted capacity can also lead to
such unreliable effects through reflections/delays.  Today's computers
are annoyingly high frequency devices.

At any rate, the symptoms are quite clearly pointing to a hardware
problem

I'll keep checking with git for unwanted changes, and for the final run of the book I'll move to my old Mac G5, while I can afford a new machine.

Thank you very much for your kind help ---I'm really less desperate now!

Best

Axel