Re: [AUCTeX] no preview of stretched vertical space \vspa ce*{\fill}‏

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] no preview of stretched vertical space \vspa ce*{\fill}‏
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 01:25:50 +0100

Mirko M. <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get the preview of a stretched vertical space \vspace*{\fill}
> inside emacs with no luck.
>
> \vspace*{\fill} is simply ignored, instead a fixed dimension like
> \vspace*{3in} works.
>
> Adding the string xetec to the variable preview-required-option-list
> produces a full size preview of the page, but the stretched space is still
> ignored:
>
>      \documentclass[]{article}
>      \usepackage[paperwidth=5.2in, paperheight=7.5in]{geometry}
>      \begin{document}
>      \begin{quote}
>      This line is at the top.
>      \null\vspace*{\fill}\\
>      This line is at the bottom.
>      \end{quote}
>      \end{document}
>
> If I compile the document without the preview package (outside emacs) with
> latex the stretched space is not ignored.
>
> Any advice, please?

preview-latex is not useful for previewing page layout.  It's only
useful for a subset of elements, like most math.  Use C-c C-v to start a
page-based previewer after compiling your document.

For those elements for which preview-latex _is_ useful, it beats the
pants off using a separate page-based previewer.  So it makes sense to
have it available even if it does not cover all use cases of a true
page-based previewer.

--
David Kastrup