Re: [AUCTeX] LaTeX-mode-hook doesn't work for 11.87.2 (ELPA)?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] LaTeX-mode-hook doesn't work for 11.87.2 (ELPA)?
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:25:11 +0100

Mandar Mitra <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mandar,

> I recently upgraded from 11.86 to 11.87.2 via ELPA[1]. I've just
> discovered that my custom keybindings no longer work.
>
> I had (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda () ...)), and this worked
> with 11.86.

Don't quote the lambda (although that shouldn't cause any problem).

> With 11.87.2, if I do C-h v LaTeX-mode-hook, it shows the lambda that
> I've added, but none of my keybindings are listed when I do C-h b.
>
> I've reverted to 11.86 for now and things work again. Am I doing
> something wrong?

Hm, my LaTeX-mode-hook works. :-)

So without further details, I guess that your lambda is something like

  (lambda ()
    (do-this)
    (do-that)
    (local-set-key ...)
    (local-set-key ...))

and either do-this or do-that signal an error so that the keybinding
commands are not even called.  And since there are some normal messages
when finding a latex file, you didn't notice that an error was written
to *Messages*.

Try M-x toggle-debug-on-error, and then find some latex document.  If
your hook function errors, you'll be dropped in the debugger which will
show what went wrong.

Bye,
Tassilo