Re: [AUCTeX] Question involving TeX-source-correlate-method

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Question involving TeX-source-correlate-method
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:48:20 +0100

Nikolaus Vonessen <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Nikolaus,

> I used to use latex to generate dvi files, but am now switching to
> pdflatex.  Often, I create new files based on older ones.  Some older
> latex files, in particular ones involving graphics, do not compile
> correctly using pdflatex.  Therefore, it would be very useful to be
> able to switch, on a per-buffer-basis, between compiling between
> ordinary latex and pdflatex, and in both cases using the appropriate
> TeX-source-correlate-method (source-specials for dvi, synctex for
> pdf).  The problem is that, according to the documentation of
> TeX-source-correlate-method:
>
>      Setting this variable does not take effect if TeX Source
>      Correlate mode has already been active.  Restart Emacs in this
>      case.
>
> Restarting emacs is rather drastic if one wants to work with two files
> at the same time.
>
> Is there a way to get around this?

I did some experimentation, and it seems you can work around this
limitation when you set the active correlate method using a file local
variable in the documents that need it.

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% TeX-PDF-mode: nil
%%% TeX-source-correlate-method-active: source-specials
%%% End:

Bye,
Tassilo