Re: [AUCTeX] Customizing "%cS" in TeX-expand-list

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Customizing "%cS" in TeX-expand-list
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:13:19 +0100

Le 20/11/2014 10:19, Mosè Giordano a écrit :
Hi Jean-Francois,

I have upgraded to AUCTeX 11.88 via Elpa. Thanks to all who
worked on it, as for the first time since quite a few years
I experience the joy of not having C-c ` open some "TeXLive 20xx"
window or, worse, tell me "Error occured after last TeX file closed"

(the few times I tried an upgrade since 2011, it
made things worse, and I had to revert to an ancient auctex
installation copied-pasted from some other machine).

I was quite elated to see that C-c ` works as expected with 11.88,
(it probably does since a long time, I was just unable to upgrade
and there is a very nice Error Overview menu entry which I didn't
know about until now. (or did I just not see it? possible)

The error overview is a new feature in AUCTeX 11.88 ;-)

I see it mentioned in the Releases notes indeed. This is a very nice
feature. I like the colors too ;-)

Thanks to the experts who made this happen: Mosè, Tassilo, ..., sorry
for the people I do not cite but I subscribe to the mailing list
since only very recently. Great job!

This message is about some customizations which I did some years back,
at a time when I very temporarily to some vague elisp understanding,
and that I am re-integrating to my custom-file (the understanding having

My question is about how doing the things more effciently than my
current method, which is to customize the full TeX-expand-list variable
for only one change.
default definition of %cS as found in TeX-expand-list is

("%cS" TeX-source-specials-view-expand-client)

I replace it by
("%cS" (lambda nil "/Applications/
--no-wait +%%l %%f"))

This is to avoid having to put an alias to emacsclient in /usr/bin (which
would quite possibly be wiped away by system upgrades) or more generally in

Also this spares me having to put an editor entry in .xdvirc

(I also configured the program for output-dvi to be, in case source-specials
is on:

open -a XQuartz && %(o?)xdvi -sourceposition \"%n %b\" -editor \"%cS\" [some
paper option] %d

and for output-pdf:

/Applications/ -b %n %o %b

This is all on Mac OS X, and my Emacs is recently upgraded "Emacs Mac Port":
GNU Emacs 24.4.3  from

What I do currently is to have the full TeX-expand-list
customized in order to apply this single replacement of "%cS"

Is there a Lisp-way to do this more economically?
Could I just overwrite the TeX-source-specials-view-expand-client function?

You have two options: add

    (lambda nil
      "/Applications/ --no-wait
+%%l %%f")))

(sorry for hard-wrapping of the code above) to your init file.  This
will add a new "%cS" entry to `TeX-expand-list' and only the first one
will be actually used.  Or, as you suggested, you can redefine the
`TeX-source-specials-view-expand-client' function after loading

(eval-after-load "tex"
   '(defun TeX-source-specials-view-expand-client ()
      "/Applications/ --no-wait
+%%l %%f"))

Thanks Mosè! this is exactly what I was looking for. I opted for
the first method, I added the (add-to-list ...) to TeX-mode-hook
in my init file. And it works as expected, thanks.

I will keep the second option somewhere as a model if I need
a similar thing in the future.

A second question:

I know AUCTeX has many many features, and I am only using a small
fraction. Currently I observe that the first loading when I launch
Emacs and open a first .tex file takes noticeable time (about five seconds).

Is there a "mode-for-the-dumb-guy-who-thinks-he-needs-only-a-few-things"
which would load faster?

What makes AUCTeX slow should be the loading of style files, you can
try disabling file parsing and saving auto/*.el files, but then you'll
lose many features of AUCTeX.  This may be ok if you want just to open
a *TeX source and do minimal editing.

It is true I have never learnt to really use AUCTeX's features,
beyond the minimal things such as C-cC-e. I need to improve in
this area.

Yesterday, I tried removing about 80 (el/elc) pairs of files from
style/ (among the 148 such pairs currently there). For example,
style files for languages I do not use on a reguler basis. But
this had nil effect on the 5 seconds loading time. Admittedly now
that I look again at these files, I recall that I had kept all the
"big" ones. I will try again.

No wait, I just now deleted *all* files in

.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88/style apart from .nosearch

and I observe the exact same 5 seconds delay on opening a .tex file
(it does not matter if a latex file or Plain, even only a Hello
world\bye file).

This is a "one-time-only" delay, opening further
.tex files is instantaneous. (perhaps will be less so after I
reinstall all style/* files)

I can surely learn to live with it...

Thanks for the help