Re: [AUCTeX] viewer for dvi output on mac os x

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] viewer for dvi output on mac os x
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:39:32 +0100

Le 23 nov. 2014 at 16:05, jfbu wrote

> However the effect of this ultimate system call
> (as one can also see doing  "open file.dvi"
> directly in a Terminal or via "!" in a dired buffer)
> is first to convert the dvi to pdf format and then
> open it in a pdf viewer. (tested on mac os x mavericks)

Hmm... on my Mac, for some reason "Skim" has been previously set
(I guess by me ;-) )
as  the default application for ".dvi" files. (I presume Skim
uses dvipdf which comes with ghostscript, but I don't know, I
only observed Skim does no conversion if the corresponding
.pdf file already exists)

Anyway, I do suppose the best xdvi viewer on modern Mac OS X
systems is "xdvi" running with XQuartz display, thus my question
was about the relevance of making this the default in AUCTeX.

best wishes

Jean-Francois