[AUCTeX] Flyspell stopped working in AUCTeX LaTeX mode after updating pa

From: Omid
Subject: [AUCTeX] Flyspell stopped working in AUCTeX LaTeX mode after updating packages
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 22:18:24 -0500

Hello,

My flyspell stopped working in LaTeX, the major mode provide by
AUCTeX, after I updated some packages (including AUCTeX) with the
package manager. By stopped working I mean, it does not "detect"
spelling errors on the fly any more (while typing), nor does it "find"
them after explicitly being asking to by, e.g., M-x flyspell-buffer.
It does, however, look enabled, as its indicator "Fly" is in the mode
line.

In the LaTeX major mode, I have the following minor modes enabled:
Auto-Complete Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
Auto-Fill Cua Desktop-Save Electric-Pair File-Name-Shadow Flyspell
Font-Lock Global-Auto-Complete Global-Font-Lock Ido-Everywhere
Latex-Math Line-Number Mouse-Wheel Recentf Reftex Shell-Dirtrack
Show-Paren Tex-Fold Tex-Pdf Transient-Mark Which-Function Winner Yas
Yas-Global.

I am aware of some conflicts between Auto-Complete and Flyspell, but I
have been using the (ac-flyspell-workaround), which was working for me
with no hiccups before the update.

I have tried disabling these minor modes one by one but the problem
persists. The problem does NOT exist in a "bare" Emacs session
(started with "Emacs -Q", e.g.). So, my guess is at least one of these
minor modes (probably Auto-Complete) has a conflict with Flyspell and
that it also "contaminates" the session so that disabling it does not
help resolve the problem.

Flyspell works without any problems in other major modes (e.g., Org
mode) regardless of what minor modes may be active.

I have the latest version of the following packages installed

(defvar my-packages '(magit git-commit-mode git-rebase-mode
                             auctex cdlatex
                             org
                             org2blog metaweblog
                             expand-region multiple-cursors
                             ace-jump-mode
                             kill-ring-search browse-kill-ring undo-tree
                             color-theme-solarized htmlize
                             dired-details
                             exec-path-from-shell
                             auto-complete yasnippet
                             ac-ispell ac-octave
                             gnuplot
                             smex
                             ack-and-a-half
                             dash
                             epl
                             w3))

from

(setq package-archives
      '(("original"    . "http://tromey.com/elpa/";)
        ("gnu"         . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
        ("marmalade"   . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";)
        ("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/";)))

(For what it's worth, note that I'm only using the "stable" MELPA.)

I am on GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2).
(flyspell-version) gives "FSF emacs CVS20090625(r1.145) + Debian
`dictionaries-common' changes (like XEmacs compatibility)".

But I also tried the latest version (as of now) 1.7q (Feb 2014) from
http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Manuel.Serrano/flyspell/flyspell.html.

I was wondering if you could give me some pointers as to how to go
about resolving this problem.

Thanks,

Omid