Re: [AUCTeX] .emacs (or is it _emacs) for AucTeX on Windows

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] .emacs (or is it _emacs) for AucTeX on Windows
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:21:06 +0100

[Please keep the list in CC]

Le 02/03/2015 21:28, David Cook a écrit :
> Thanks for your prompt reply - I am afraid that I was a bit incoherent, maybe
> with frustration.
> The link you sent me is not any use since it seems to be building the files
> from source and looks more like
> a Linux setup; it uses configure and make etc which are not available in the
> unzipped download (./configure ....is
> the first step).
>
> All I need is some kind of .emacs (or _emacs) to make emacs aware and load
> AucTeX - I think. because
> the unzipped file is just the directory auctex containing all the .el and
> .elc lisp files which I have copied into
>
> c:/emacs/site-lisp

I should have done better than just google.

Ok so now that I understand the question : the line to add to your
[._]emacs is given at
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Quick-Start.html#Quick-Start
i.e. : add (load "auctex.el" nil t t) to your [._]emacs and it should be
fine. But for that to be fine, auctex needs to be properly installed,
and I don't think it is for you. Well, try it and see... if it doesn't
work, keep reading.

So now, I have read
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html. I see it
has a set of instructions for installing a *precompiled* auctex in an
*otherwise new* emacs installation. If that is what you downloaded, then
you should follow the instructions on the above page. Note that for this
to have the expected effect, the emacs install must be just-downloaded
from the link given there. Otherwise, it might :
- not work or work with limitations
- overwrite files, thus losing things
- kill innocent kittens

Note that if you already have a working emacs, the simplest thing to do
IMHO would be to install AUCTeX from GNU ELPA. I.e. do M-x list-packages
RET, look for auctex, hit RET, hit Install. I think it should work on MS
Windows too.

Good luck,

Nicolas.