Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 21:04:42 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Reading more thoroughly `TeX-search-files-kpathsea' I see that
>>> `TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter' is set after getting the output of a
>>> `kpsewhich' call, instead we need the separator before calling it.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>>> The kpathsea manual says [1] the separator is ";" on Windows, ":"
>>> otherwise,
>>
>> That's what I've also read.
>
> How about `path-separator'?
>
>>> so we could set the default value of `TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter'
>>> looking at Emacs `system-type' variable, instead of the t (autodect),
>>> what do you think?
>>
>> I think so, although I guess there has be a reason for this
>> auto-detection at some point in time.
>
> David you introduced `TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter', could you please
> explain why that autodetect mechanism is better than using
> `path-separator'?

Why would Kpathsea heed an Emacs variable?

> Are there notable corner cases (I don't know what may happen when
> running Emacs under Cygwin, for one)?

Cygwin tends to have : as path separator and / as directory separator.
So if you are running a Cygwin Emacs with Mingw32 TeX or vice versa, you
don't get the paths to match.  And Kpathsea may be independently
reconfigured regarding its path separator IIRC.

--
David Kastrup