Re: [AUCTeX] docTeX: font-locking of |\foobar|

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] docTeX: font-locking of |\foobar|
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 11:37:14 +0200

Hi

Le 8 mai 2015 à 11:24, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> a écrit :

> jfbu <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>> There does still exist a few backward people like myself who enjoy
>> tables with vertical rules (despite the definitive opinions as
>> expressed in booktabs LaTeX package), thus entering (single) | in the
>> table template may happen from time to time
>
> Hm, I hadn't thought about that.  But when you insert a tabular with C-c
> RET, then the format is read from the minibuffer anyway and there the
> syntax of | in tex/latex mode doesn't matter.
>
> And even in the latex buffer you can still enter single | either with
> C-q or just | and deleting the second.
>
> But I wouldn't mind changing the syntax from paired delimiter to
> punctuation if that's considered better.  It just has to be different
> from word or symbol syntax.

I don't know if non-programming users have much use for |...|, they
sure know about verbatim environment but perhaps less about \verb command.
(which after all is not a genuine LaTeX syntax command)

For package writers, as the ltxdoc/scrdoc classes load shortvrb by default
and (if I remember correctly) pre-declare | as verb delimiter
so that one can type |\stuff| rather than \verb|stuff|, it is more immediately
useful I guess.

... I have no opinion. Perhaps just stick with what you have currently
decided and see if a revolt ensues ? ;-)

best
Jean-François