Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with xpdf (was Re: Where and how TeX-evi

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with xpdf (was Re: Where and how TeX-evince-sync-view is defined?)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 09:53:03 +0200

Mandar Mitra <address@hidden> writes:

>> Anyway, since a few months I use PDF-Tools [1] as my main PDF viewer.
>> It's like Emacs' doc-view-mode on steroids, i.e., it's also a PDF
>> viewer in Emacs which supports isearch (with highlighting!),
>> annotations (reading and editing!), etc, etc, and I've already added
>> support for it in AUCTeX.  So you might want to give it a go.
>
> Yes, I did, thanks to the earlier thread on pdf-tools. As a PDF viewer
> that permits annotations and isearch from inside Emacs, it's terrific!
>
> The red rectangle marker of Evince is replaced by a transient red arrow
> with AUCTeX + PDF-Tools, which I find somewhat less convenient.

IIRC, Andreas (the PDF Tools author) isn't satisfied with that, too, and
is looking for replacing that with something better.

One very cool thing with PDF Tools is that backward search brings you to
the exact character you have clicked on.  With Evince, you only jump the
the line of the click position.  Being able to jump to a specific
character is very convenient when proof-reading a document and fixing
spelling errors.

> Still, I have the following for when I'm feeling adventurous (this
> works for me, but it might be idiomatically (or just plain) terrible
> code).

No, that's fine. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo