Re: [AUCTeX] minor releases

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] minor releases
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 23:03:57 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm fine with a new release, I'd just like to fix some bugs before the
>>> release, like https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19504 (I
>>> looked at it some days ago but I didn't find new solution apart from
>>> those I suggested there -- if we can't find a solution soon we can go
>>> ahead with the new release anyway).
>>
>> What's wrong with the third version of `TeX-completing-read-multiple'?
>> I mean, of course it's not overly charming to have three different
>> versions of a function
>
> Ok, my question is: can we pick up the old Emacs' definition of
> `completing-read-multiple' even if it has internal (crm--*) functions?

Yes, at least as long as those are defined and right now they are.

>>> BTW, before a new release I'd like to know if AUCTeX should cater
>>> for the mess OS X El Capitan created with MacTeX.  Feedback is
>>> welcome in this regard.
>>
>> I didn't know about such issues.  And a quick google search pointed
>> me to https://tug.org/mactex/UpdatingForElCapitan.pdf where it is
>> only said that /usr/texbin/ is gone and now users need to put
>> /Library/TeX/texbin/ in their PATH.  So what?
>
> Yes, I meant this problem, but can users sort this problem out by
> themselves or should AUCTeX help them?

In general, I think having a working TeX distribution installed and
properly configured is a requirement we can take for granted.  But we
could test (executable-find "tex") top-level and message a big fat
warning if that returns nil, and we might also test `system-type' to
give a Mac-specific warning.

Bye,
Tassilo