Re: [AUCTeX] feature request: generate a makefile based on masterfile

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] feature request: generate a makefile based on masterfile
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:39:45 +0100

Hello Sivaram,

Make is not the best tool for LaTeX because often you have auxiliary
files that are both output and input and need to be written several
times. So the time-stamp based logic of Make is not adequate.

Rather, like Tassilo, I use latexmk. Probably latexmk mydoc.tex will not
do readilly what you want, you need other options for selecting pdf
output, or being in nonstopmode (aka batch mode). you can set these as a
default with a .latexmkrc file (in your home directory for all projects,
or in the local dierctory just for this project, latexmk will read those
in sequence. You can also make custom dependencies through the
.latexmkrc file. And anyway, you can still call latexmk from a makefile
if you have a very complex generation scheme (that is what I do for the
lettre package, cf https://gna.org/projects/lettre_observatoire).

Bye,
   Vincent.