Re: [AUCTeX] New release on Friday?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] New release on Friday?
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 14:11:57 +0100

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>>> There was a thread in [AUCTeX] mailling list, "11.88.9 and
>>> fill-paragraph oddness".
>>
>> Seriously?  There is a bug report for new Emacs versions' fill
>> functionality, and the reaction is to just disable the functionality
>> rather than address the problem?  Without any discussion?
>
> The thread was open but no one explained why the previous value was
> better than nil, there wasn't much to discuss.  Frankly, reading the
> code it wasn't clear it is useful for preview-latex, now we know it.
> I usually don't have strong opinions on default values, as long as I
> can change in my init file a variable that's fine with me.

It's not just preview-latex.  It makes good sense to avoid line-wrapping
stuff like $\sum_{i=0}^2 i$ in the middle even when not using
preview-latex.  Using preview-latex leads to overlong lines when a line
break in the middle gets hidden.  Which makes it a good idea in the
context of preview-latex to break after the final $ again _iff_ there is
a line break in the middle.  So the "break after" rules are mostly
interesting in the context of preview-latex.  But the "break before"
rules which move a formula to the next line if it would otherwise be
broken across lines certainly make sense also outside of preview-latex.

--
David Kastrup