Re: [AUCTeX] overlay prompting

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] overlay prompting
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:12:58 +0100

> Le 24 janv. 2016 à 15:54, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> a écrit :

>>> how do you time the parsing ?
>>
>> With `benchmark-run'.  In the file buffer run
>>
>>    M-: (benchmark-run (TeX-auto-parse)) RET
>>
>> The first argument of `benchmark-run' can be the number of the
>> repetitions of the form.
>>

> I got this before the patch
>
> (0.087632 1 0.029196999999999917)
>
> and after the patch:
>
> (3.623112 30 0.7104439999999999)
>
> in the mean time I patched tex.el, byte-compiled and loaded it.
>
> Thus it seems I have indeed a rather drastic time increase
> with my big document.
>
> I also tried C-cC-n and had indeed about three seconds wait.
>
> The .el file has no beamer anymore.
>
> But obviously, I am tempted to conclude that
> time penalty is too big.

`LaTeX-verbatim-p' looks first at the face at point, then to the
current macro, and if all previous tests are nil, which is the most
common case, runs also `LaTeX-current-environment', which is known to
be *slow*.

I think current parsing time is acceptable, less than 0.1 s in your
long and complex document is reasonably low, and I hoped that there
were already the test for verbatim mode.  But since this test is not
there, adding it wouldn't be a fair trade-off.

Bye,
Mosè