Re: [AUCTeX] Logo for AUCTeX: request for ideas

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Logo for AUCTeX: request for ideas
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 01:34:10 +0100

Hi Tamas,

> Hi,
>
> I have been following this thread with interest, and I recognize that
> people honestly want to help and contribute. However, I am still not
> sure why AUCTeX needs a logo and what purpose it would serve, and I
> think that the lack of well-defined objectives is reflected in the
> design process.
>
> For example, consider a company that wants a logo for a particular
> brand: they want the logo to be associated with that brand, and have a
> reasonably good idea of the group they are targeting and the image they
> want to convey.
>
> In contrast, it is unclear where and how the AUCTeX logo would be used
> (on the website? does that warrant a logo? where else?), who the target
> audience is (existing users? potential new users?), and the message we
> want to convey (AUCTeX is ... fun? a reliable and convenient piece of
> software? etc)
>
> The discussion might still result in a nice logo, but if in the end it
> doesn't, I don't think that there is any harm in not coming up with a
> logo now and postponing the issue until there is a more clearly defined
> need.

Thanks for your comments.  Just to make it clear, I agree with you, we
don't need the logo at any cost.  If you don't find anything with a
minimal consensus, it's fine with me to stop.

That said, there was the chance to have a designer for the logo and I
thought that we don't have the logo and this could be an occasion to
involve the community in something not code related, so that more
people than usual can participate.  The logo would be used on the web
page and probably nowhere else.  There are already other Emacs'
packages with a logo, I knew of org mode [1], but after a quick search
I found that ESS [2] and Gnus [3] have a logo as well.  Probably also
CEDET has a logo [4], at least the name of the banner file at the top
of the page suggests so.

Bye,
Mosè

Note: