Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 22:09:20 +0200

Tobias Berndt <address@hidden> writes:

>>It seems that there is some support for scite:
>
>>    https://github.com/contextgarden/context-mirror/tree/beta/context/data
>
>>There is also some support for TeXworks.
>
> Yes, I know that. And since Scite is recommended by ConTeXt developers
> on their page, there're people using it for coding ConTeXt. BUT Emacs
> (+ AucTeX) has been becoming the standard for working with tex-files
> for years.

Not sure if I would bet on "the standard".  TeXworks, TeXstudio to
mention two seem to be more popular to me; TeXworks is bundled with
TeXlive and that is a plus.

> I wouldn't change to any other editor ...

I think the question is: how to get others to use Emacs? :-)

> and one reason to prefer Scite to Emacs editing ConTeXt might be the
> missing Emacs support for ConTeXt MkIV?

That is always a reason: If you are a heavy ConTeXt user and
Emacs/AUCTeX support is poor, then ...

>>I have no idea about ConTeXt community, but do you think it is big
>> enough and the demand for Emacs support is large >enough to
>> financially support somebody to write that support?  Of course, that
>> someone is to be found (and will not be >me).
>
> Tough! I personally think since Emacs/AucTeX is the state of the
> art-tool for editing TeX, you shouldn't refuse support for such an
> important TeX development like ConTeXt

I think you've got me wrong here: I'm not trying to refuse ConTeXt, I'm
trying to find a way to make Emacs/AUCTeX support better.  The way I see
it, there are no developers around who are willing to improve the
situation (for whatever reason).

> Is there already a relevant community, big enough and hence worth to
> spent money developing an AucTeX support for ConTeXt MkIV? I wished I
> could simple say YES, go for it! But, I do not know? I can say,
> community is growing on a smooth level.

Let me put it this way: Are you willing to ask the ConTeXt community if
there is enough demand to crowdfund ConTeXt MkIV support in AUCTeX?  If
there is a demand, we can look after a person who can do the job.

Best, Arash