Re: [AUCTeX] what is wrong in my call to dvipdfmx with unicode filename?

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] what is wrong in my call to dvipdfmx with unicode filename?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 14:20:03 +0100

Hi,

Le 22/01/2017 à 13:08, Joost Kremers a écrit :

> On Sun, Jan 22 2017, address@hidden wrote:
>> Hi Tassilo
>>
>> Le 22 janv. 2017 à 11:00, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>
>>> jfbu <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Jean-François,

>>> I think the problem is that in your command, the dvi file is both
>>> enclosed in double-quotes and additionally escaped with \.  So please
>>> try with
>>>
>>>  ("PDF par dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-command nil t
>>>   :help "Produit le pdf par dvipdfmx")
>>>

>> Yes, that works,
>>
>> actually for dvips I had
>>
>> ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-command t t :help "Generate
>> PostScript file")
>>
>> which was official set-up (at least at the time when I
>> froze Tex-command-list with my additions, I should check
>> more often if "upstream" has evolved)
>
> There's actually a better way to handle that situation: use
> `add-to-list` in your init file. E.g., this is what I do:

> ```
> (with-eval-after-load 'tex
>    ;; add a "Crop PDF" entry to TeX-command-list
>    (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>                 '("Crop PDF" "pdfcrop %P" TeX-run-command nil t
>   :help "Crop pdf file")
>                 'append)
>
>    ;; add a pdf expander to TeX-expand-list
>    (add-to-list 'TeX-expand-list '("%P" file "pdf" t) 'append))
> ```
>
> That way, my changes to `TeX-command-list` and `TeX-expand-list` are
> automatically added to whatever value AUCTeX provides as default.

Thanks for the tip,

I guess I wanted my additions to be near the top of command menu,
for quick access (for reasons I don't recall, presumably it is only
a habit, I use C-cC-c for
latex but then the mouse for dvipdfmx processing... or directly
the mouse to reach for my "latex+dvipdfmx" entry)

I notice I have such an add-to-list for `TeX-expand-list' in my
jf-TeX-mode-hook

I am not sure but for TeX-command-listit might be related to
some customization I did
years ago for source<->dvi back and forth sync, which did not work
with default settings back then.

Also I think I suppressed some entries of the default TeX-command-list
which were of no use to me.

> Actually, I just noticed that the default value of `TeX-expand-list`
> is nil, because the AUCTeX-provided expanders are in
> `TeX-expand-list-default` and `Tex-expand-list` is solely for the
> user. So I could use a simple setq for this one. But `add-to-list` is
> stil useful for `TeX-command-list`.

> BTW, if anyone knows of a built-in expander for the pdf output file,
> I'm all ears.

I use %s.pdf it seems (for example in an entry "PDF via dvips+gs" or in
another "ps2pdf on PDF") but would also like to have an official expander
if for whatever reason %s.pdf may have issues.

Jean-François