Re: [AUCTeX] more helpful error messages when not using LaTeX

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] more helpful error messages when not using LaTeX
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:31:39 +0100

Hi Mosè

Le 26 janv. 2017 à 18:07, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Hi Jean-François,

>> I wonder if AUCTeX could consider separate error handling according
>> to engines. It is really a disturbance to see these LaTeX error
>> messages pop up.
>
> Technically yes, it's feasible.  The problem is that this requires a
> major work, that for example I personally don't have the time to do.
> Well-thought patches are welcome.

ah, yes I now re-read the old thread.

>> Actually on double-checking:
>>
>> the original error messages
>> with their help messages are there in the log file
>> when one uses -interaction=nonstopmode or scrollmode too.
>>
>> Why then doesn't AUCTeX fetches them there ?
>
> Because it parses the output message of the compiler, not the log file.

Tassilo suggested

  (setq TeX-error-description-list '((".*" . "Go figure!")))

Could it be considered that AUCTeX before using the
TeX-error-description-list
checks the format file in use for this compilation
and if not LaTeX then uses this alternate list

((".*" . "Type `l' with the point here to go to log message"))

Perhaps not by default, but at least as an optional
behaviour ?

Bye,
Jean-François