Re: [AUCTeX] wrong encoding for *output* buffer

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] wrong encoding for *output* buffer
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 13:19:13 +0100

Le 1 févr. 2018 à 12:58, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> a écrit :

>>> My question was probably not precise enough: I wonder why auctex
>>> doesn't set the buffer encoding also (derived from the master
>>> file's local variables), given that auctex itself generates the
>>> *xxx output* buffer.
>>
>> TeX is an 8-bit program wrapping its output, [...]
>
> I was specifically asking for XeTeX.
>
>> [...] including output containing quotes of the source as error
>> locators, every 79bytes, irrespective of character boundaries?  It
>> also may encode some bytes in the middle of a character as ^^xx.
>
> IIRC, XeTeX is going to fix that (or already has) so that UTF-8
> characters won't be broken in the middle of the sequence.

even pdflatex does with option -8bit

---- file test.tex
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\typeout{éàù}
\end{document}
----

pdflatex -8bit test.tex

gives in log

----
[...]
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
éàù
(./test.aux) )
[...]
----

unfortunately the model chosen by LaTeX
for handling utf8 encoding leads to

\IeC {\'e}\IeC {\`a}\IeC {\`u}

output if one adds

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

but this is a LaTeX2e design choice

it is possible to design a scheme where utf8 bits
characters would be correctly handed with TeX
font and still give éàù in output in such situations

Jean-François