Re: [AUCTeX] beamer

From: giacomo . boffi
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] beamer
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 00:10:30 +0100

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure if we have an issue with the manual of preview here, but
> IIRC, one must pass the environments option(s) explicitly to preview.sty
> if loaded in .tex file, `active' alone doesn't suffice.  This code
> produces the desired result:
>
> \documentclass{beamer}
>
> \usepackage[textmath,displaymath,sections,active]{preview}
> \PreviewEnvironment*{frame}

Ciao Arash,

the documentation of the latex side of preview has

    *active* is the most essential option. If this option is not
      specified, the preview package will be inactive and the document
      will be typeset as if the preview package were not loaded, except
      that all declarations and environments defined by the package are
      still legal but have no effect. This allows defining previewing
      characteristics in your document, and only activating them by
      calling LaTeX as

         latex ’\PassOptionsToPackage{active}{preview}\input{filename}’

my understanding is that you manually specify "active" only in the
relatively rare case in which you want to extract. e.g., the formulas
from a document as a set of png files --- in all the other cases, in
which you want to normally process the .tex file and just want to modify
the behavior of preview, e.g., with respect to beamer's "frame"
environments, you DO NOT put "active" in the latex source, because it's
the job of preview the elisp package to correctly invoke latex.

I have to add that the behavior described in the manual is no more what
happens using preview.el these days.

Thank you for the interest in my post ፨ g