Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 201

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 2018
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 19:03:52 +0900

Hi Jean and all,

I could sort out most of the problem by a new approach attached with this
message, but am having difficulty with enabling preamble cache on
preview-latex when the document has non-ascii file name.  Could you help
me get out of this trouble if possible?

I'm using a test file primárias.tex (mimicking example of
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/429869/emacs-auctex-tl-2018-problems-with-non-ascii-characters-in-the-file-name)
with a math formula to test preview-latex functionality:
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\(abc\)

\end{document}
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

On emacs invoked on UTF-8 locale, when I open the test file and type C-c
C-p C-d, answering with y to "Cache preamble?", pdflatex succeeds to
dump prv_primárias.fmt.  However, the run of pdflatex to generate actual
image which follows that dump fails with TeXLive 2018 like this:
Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `primárias' with ``pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode
\&prv_prim\árias  prim\árias.tex ''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (TeX Live 2018) (preloaded
format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `prim'.
<to be read again>
                   \unhbox
<*> &prv_primárias primá
                          rias.tex
(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<to be read again>
                   \unhbox
<*> &prv_primárias primá
                          rias.tex
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on texput.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Wed May 23 18:36:15
LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images

It doesn't help to change the command to
pdflatex \&prv_prim\árias \\input \\detokenize\{prim\árias.tex}
on xterm.  Pdflatex says:
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.19 (TeX Live 2018) (preloaded
format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/.tex
LaTeX2e <2018-04-01> patch level 4
CUSTOMISED FORMAT. Preloaded files:
        .
 article.cls    2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
  size10.clo    2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
        .
)
Runaway argument?
! File ended while scanning use of ^^M.
<inserted text>
                \par
<*> &prv_primárias \
                     input \detokenize{primárias.tex}
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...imárias \input \detokenize{primárias.tex}

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on .log.

With TL2017, preview-latex works as expected even with my new patch.

Jean, do you have any idea, such as "magic spell" in the message below
you wrote previously?  I have vague impression that \UseRawInputEncoding
can solve this problem, but I have no experience of TeX programming and
could not arrage the given TeX codes so that prv_primárias.fmt accepts
the file name primárias.tex.

> Perhaps you can use this mouthful

> pdflatex  -file-line-error   -interaction=nonstopmode
> "\begingroup\ifdefined\UseRawInputEncoding\UseRawInputEncoding\fi\edef\x{\noexpand\input{\string#éàè\string~\string#.tex}}\expandafter\endgroup\x"

> It works to compile file with name #éàè~#.tex, the file containing itself
> UTF-8 characters in its contents and is not doing \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> to check it does work nevertheless in PDF output (it would not if action of
> \UseRawInputEncoding wasn't scoped)

Sincerly,
Ikumi Keita