audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] GUADEC 2013 videos posted on a freedom-respecting reso

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] GUADEC 2013 videos posted on a freedom-respecting resource?
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:43:53 -0400

"J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <address@hidden> writes:

> I found the GUADEC 2013 videos at the following URL
>
> http://www.superlectures.com/guadec2013/the-future-of-gnome-3
>
> As far as I know these videos aren't posted anywhere else.
>
> However this site requires that the user run JavaScript to get to the
> WebM-encoded copies of the videos. This is neither technically
> necessary and not good for more important software freedom reasons I
> doubt I'd have to go into here.
>
> Could these WebM-encoded copies be hosted somewhere that doesn't
> require JavaScript at all? Perhaps a simple directory of such videos
> like Debian does for their Debconf meetings? Perhaps posting them to
> archive.org which will host the videos gratis and do so in a way that
> allows anyone to download or link directly to the videos?
>
> If I'm asking the wrong group, please understand I wasn't sure where
> to post such about this issue; this mailing list concerns itself with
> audio/video issues and is a part of the GNU Project as is GNOME, the
> subject of GUADEC. I'd appreciate a pointer to where I should ask
> these questions instead.

How are the videos licensed? As long as we can share them, they seem
appropriate for audio-video.gnu.org to me. You could create tasks for
the ones that need to be uploaded in the tracker at
<https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?group=audio-video>. I just sent out a
call to people who have told us that they want to help with audio-video,
asking them to help with the items in that tracker, so now would be a
good time to add things there. :)

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.